아쿠아렉스 스마트팩토리 구축으로 CGMP 데이터화, 그 자체만으로도 수백억 원의 가치

페이지 정보

본문

• 페이스북으로 공유
  • 트위터로  공유
  • 구글플러스로 공유

아쿠아렉스 장기호 대표 인터뷰

Interview with Representative of AQUAREX, Ki-ho Jang 

“당신은 사람을 만날 때 어디를 제일 먼저 보는가?” 라는 질문을 들어봤을 것이다. 우리는 “무엇을 먼저 듣는가?”, “무슨 냄새를 먼저 맡는가?”와 같은 질문은 하지 않는다. 이 말은 사람을 만날 때 오감 중 가장 먼저 작동하고 중요 하게 여기는 것이 ’보는 것‘ 즉 눈의 작용이라는 얘기다. 그 눈이 대부분 향하는 곳은 어딜까. 상대 얼굴이다. 얼굴 에서도 피부는 유독 관심의 대상이자 건강 상태의 척도다. 사람은 스트레스가 쌓이고 피곤해지면 피부가 거칠어진 다. 따라서 얼굴 피부는 그 사람의 현 상황이나 건강을 살필 수 있는 내시경이라 할 수 있다. 이것이 사람들이 피부에 많은 시간과 돈을 투자하는 이유고, 화장품 산업이 번성하는 까닭이다. 기초 화장품, 기능 성 화장품 등을 망라해 화장품은 피부를 위해 존재한다. 피부 위에 발라, 피부를 돋보이게 하는 것이다. 문제는 사람의 피부가 똑같지 않다는 데 있다. 화장품 부작용의 원인이기도 하다. 업계는 이 때문에 수많은 과학과 기술을 동원한다. ‘제4차 산업혁명’이라 불리는 시대에 화장품 업계는 어떤 변화와 기술이 필요할까. 스마트팩토리 구축에 나선 업력 19년의 아쿠아렉스 장기호 대표를 만나 들어봤다. 

Where do you look first when you meet people? You may have heard of such question. We don't ask questions like “What do you hear first?” or “What do you smell first?”. It means that 'seeing' is the first sense that reacts among five senses when meeting people, and that means people consider seeing as the most important action. In short, it is the action of the eyes. Where are most eyes facing? It is the other's face. People have a special interest in the skin among the faces. Facial skin is a measure of health. When people get stressed and tired, their skin becomes rough. Therefore, the facial skin can be regarded as an endoscope that can see a person's current situation or health. For this reason, people invest a lot of time and money in their skin, and that is why the cosmetic industry prospers. Cosmetics, including basic cosmetics and functional cosmetics, exist for the skin. People apply cosmetics over their skin to make them stand out. The problem is that human skin is not the same. This is reason that causes the side effects of cosmetics. The cosmetics industry employs a lot of science and technology for this reason. What changes and technologies does the cosmetics industry need in an era called the 4th Industrial Revolution? Through an interview with Representative Ki-ho Jang of AQUAREX, accumulated 19 years of business experience and initiated building a smart factory, I could have his answers on forementioned questions. The following are questions and answers with the Representative Ki-ho Jang. 

6d5ce36e4ca023bcd2aff0f5dc02eac4_1614131690_6636.jpg

아쿠아렉스는 어떤 회사인가? 

화장품 사업은 아름다움을 기반으로 한다. 아름다움 자체가 진선미를 다 포함하는 것이다. 인간이 진선미를 추구하는 것은 행복 추구와 같 다. 그 행복의 가장 기본적이고 기초적인 것이 여자의 화장이다. 여자 는 화장하면 행복해진다고 한다. 남성도 화장하는 시대다. 더욱 멋있고 아름답게 보임으로써 행복하고 싶은 마음 때문이다. 이런 점에서 아쿠 아렉스는 단순히 화장품을 제조해 판매하는 회사로 머물러서는 안 된 다고 생각한다. 인간의 행복 추구를 돕는, 즉 해피니스 헬퍼로 나아가 고자 하는 것이 우리 회사의 모토다. 그래서 사람들이 삶의 자신감과 만족감을 얻도록 하는데 최선을 다하고 있다. 

What kind of company is AQUAREX? 

The cosmetics business is based on beauty. The beauty itself includes truth, goodness, and beauty. Human pursuing truth, goodness, and beauty is same as pursuing happiness. The most basic and fundamental of happiness is a woman's makeup. Women are said to be happy when they make up. Even this is an era that men also wear makeup. It's because they want to be happy by looking cooler and more beautiful. In this regard, I think AQUAREX should not remain as a company that simply manufactures and sells cosmetics. The company's motto is moving forward as a happiness helper that helps people pursue happiness. Thus, this is the reason I am putting my best to help people gain confidence and satisfaction in life. 

업의 확장이라고 볼 수 있겠다. 

그렇다. 기존 생각으로는 치열한 전쟁에서 살아남을 수 없지 않겠나. 업의 개념이 확장되다 보니 고객 개인이 가지고 있는 취향을 만족시 키는 게 중요해졌다. 내가 생각하는 아름다움은 고객 취향 맞춤에서 비롯된다. 당연히 따라오는 게 고객의 취향 수집을 위해, 고객의 취향 을 만족시키기 위해 무엇을 어떻게 해야 하는지에 대한 고민이다. 개 인의 라이프스타일을 수집해서 이에 맞는 제품으로 제작하는 단계까 지 가야 한다. 그걸 준비하고 있다. 

Then, I can interpret that as an expansion of business.

Yes, you can. Wouldn't it be possible to survive the fierce war with existing thoughts? As the concept of business has expanded, it has become important to satisfy the individual tastes of customers. The beauty I think comes from customizing the tastes of customers. Of course, what follows is the collection of tastes of customers and concerns about what to do and how to satisfy those tastes. My company has to go to the stage of collecting personal lifestyles and producing products that fit them. I am preparing for it.  

그 준비를 구체적으로 말하면? 

데이터는 두 가지가 있다. 하나는 고객의 피부나 취향, 라이프 스타일, 구매 패턴 등을 데이터화해야 하는데, 이런 데이터를 ‘고객 취향 데이 터’라고 한다. 다른 하나는 기존 화장품을 연구하고 제조할 때 쌓인 데 이터다. 이를 ‘처방 데이터(레시피)’라고 한다. 이 두 가지 데이터를 매 칭하는 게 개인 맞춤화로 가는 길이다. 그걸 준비하고 있다. 

What is the specific preparation? 

There are two types of data. One is that the customer's skin, taste, lifestyle, and purchasing patterns must be converted into data. Such data is called customer taste data. The other is data accumulated when researching and manufacturing cosmetics. This is called prescription data (recipe). Matching these two pieces of data is the way to personalization. Now, I am preparing it.  

기존에는 없던 시스템 아닌가. 그러려면 뭔가 새로운 것을 추진해야 할 텐데?

그동안 보이지 않던 것들, 그냥 흘려버렸던 경험을 데이터화해야 한다. 이런 게 가능해지려면 이에 맞는 새로운 공장 구축이 필요하다. 그게 4 차 산업혁명에서 얘기하는 인공지능이나 빅데이터 등을 활용하는 스 마트팩토리다

Isn't this a system that didn't exist before? Shouldn't you have to push for something new to do that? Data that 

have never been seen and experiences that had to be shed must be made into data. In order to make it possible, I have to build a new factory. That is the smart factory utilizing artificial intelligence or big data that is discussed in the 4th Industrial Revolution.  

스마트팩토리는 처음 어떻게 시작했나?

내가 아모레 퍼시픽에 근무할 당시 그 회사에 지금 텔스타-홈멜의 대표가 있었다. 그 인연으로 텔스타-홈멜을 견학할 기회가 있었 다. 갈 때는 ’얼마나 잘 해놨는지 구경이나 하자‘는 심정이었는데, 가서 보니 ’우리가 당장 도입해야 된다‘는 생각이 들었다. 우리가 추구하는 고객 취향 개인 맞춤화에 절대적으로 필요했다. 마침 박 대표가 의학, 화장품 쪽으로 진출하려 한다고 해서 바로 스마트팩토리 구축을 추진 하게 됐다.  

How did you start smart factory?

When I worked at Amore Pacific, I worked with Park Kyung-soo, the current Representative of Telstar Hommel, in the same company. Thanks to that relationship, I had the opportunity to tour Telstar Hommel. When I first visited, I thought, “Let’s see how well they made a smart factory.” However, when I visited and looked around, I thought, “I have to introduce it to my company right away.” The smart factory was absolutely necessary for personalization according to the taste of the customer that my company pursues. Just because Mr.Park was trying to advance into medicine and cosmetics industry, I immediately initiated building a smart factory.  

스마트팩토리 구축은 어느 정도 진행되고 있는가. 

5월부터 데이터 기반 시설을 시작했는데 12월에 마무리한다. 이렇게 되면 데이터 수집이 가능해진다. 이게 1단계다. 이게 끝나면 내년에 데 이터 분석을 하는 2단계가 시작된다. 수준은 1~5단계까지 있다. 1단계 는 데이터를 수집하는 단계이고, 2단계는 분석하는 단계이다. 

What’s the progress of building smart factory?

The construction of the data infrastructure began in May, and it ends within December. It will make data collection possible. This is the first phase. After this, the second phase of data analysis begins next year. There are levels from phase 1 to 5. Phase 1 is data collection, and phase 2 is analysis. 

6d5ce36e4ca023bcd2aff0f5dc02eac4_1614132342_0574.jpg

더 나아가는 단계는? AI 단계다.

사람이 하지 않지만 AI가 알아서 하는 단계다. 데이터를 수 집하고 스마트팩토리에서 종합 분석하는 단계일 것이다. 4단계와 5단 계는 데이터하고는 조금 다른 단계다. 화장품 자체는 모든 과정을 자동 화하기 어렵다. 화장품 자체가 대중 형태에서 개인 형태로 내려가는 맞 춤형 시스템이다 보니 세분화한 데이터를 기반으로 하지만, 실제 고객 에게 가는 것은 수작업으로 가는 시스템이다. 특히 화장품은 공장 생산 에 한계가 있다. 그 한계점을 극복하기 위해 국가적 차원에서 화장품 조제 관리사 제도를 두어 내용물이나 원료를 소분하거나 혼합해서 고 객에게 제공할 수 있는 시스템을 만들었다. 그래서 4단계 5단계까지는 가지 않을 수도 있다. 

What are the higher levels of phases?

This is the AI phase.This is the phase where humans don't work, but AI does their job. It will be the phase of collecting data, synthesizing and analyzing it in the smart factory. Phase 4 and 5 are slightly different from data-based phase. Cosmetics themselves are difficult to automate the whole process. Unlike previous phases, it is a customized system in which cosmetics themselves go down from popularized one to individual one. That's why the smart factory performs work based on detailed data, but the product that goes to the actual customer is a manual system. In particular, cosmetics are limited in production at factories. In order to overcome the limitations, a system called a cosmetic manufacturing manager was created at the national level, and a system was created to provide the contents or ingredients of cosmetics to customers by subdividing or mixing them. Thus, my company may not have to go to phase 4 and 5

AI 단계까지 가야 하는 것 아닌가? 

고객 취향을 분석한 다음 고객 취향 알고리즘을 찾아야 한다. AI가 그 알고리즘을 찾을 수 있다. 스마트팩토리의 최종 단계일 듯하다. 

Don’t you have to go to AI phase?

After analyzing the customer's taste, I have to find an algorithm for the customer's taste. AI can find the algorithm. It seems to be the final stage of the smart factory. 

6d5ce36e4ca023bcd2aff0f5dc02eac4_1614132476_6955.jpg

스마트팩토리를 통해 무엇을 얻어야 하나?

텔스타 임병훈 회장은 최적화라는 말을 많이 사용한다. 우리로 말하면 그게 표준화다. 표준화되면 어떤 성분이 어떤 피부에 잘 맞는지를 데이 터화하는 것이기 때문에 누구에게나 적용될 수 있다. 부품은 표준화가 잘 되어 있다. 자동차 부품도 볼트, 너트 등이 다 표준화돼 있다. 표준화 된 제품을 사용하면 된다. 약도 어떤 성분이 어떤 질병에 효과가 있다 는 표준화가 있다. 그래서 그 약을 복용하면 치료가 되니 이후 약을 안 먹어도 된다. 하지만 화장품은 그런 게 없다. 화장품은 그런 개념이 아니다. 아름다 움을 추구하기 위해 계속 사용하는 것이다. 그럼에도 ’이 제품이 이런 부분에 맞다‘는 게 없다. 그래서 사실 맞춤이라는 자체가 지금 상황에 서는 좀 애매하다고 생각할 수 있다. 약처럼 처방을 맞춰야 한다. 스마 트팩토리 구축이 완성되면 세분화된 표준화가 가능해 고객이 원하는 걸 맞출 수 있다. 이게 최적화고 화장품에서는 표준화다.  

What shall you earn from smart factory?

Telstar’s CEO Stefano Im uses the term optimization a lot. In other words, it is same as standardization. When cosmetics are standardized, it can be applied to anyone because data can be made on which ingredients are suitable for which skin. Parts are well standardized. Automobile parts are also standardized in bolts and nuts. Therefore, one can use standardized products. Medicines are also standardized to say that certain ingredients are effective against certain diseases. Thus, if one takes a medicine, the patient is cured. Then you don't have to take the medicine afterwards. However, it does not apply to cosmetics. Cosmetics are not such a concept. People continue to use cosmetics to pursue beauty. Nevertheless, there is no such thing as “this product fits in this part”. Accordingly, in fact, customized cosmetics itself may be a bit ambiguous in the current situation. Like medicine, one needs a prescription for cosmetics. When the construction for smart factory is completed, finegrained standardization of cosmetics becomes possible. Consequently, my company can customize what customers want. This is optimization and standardization in cosmetics. 

표준화라는 것은 데이터 수집에 의해 통계로 나오는 것 아닌가?

그렇다. 그걸 AI가 해주는 것이다. 

Isn't standardization come out as statistics by data collection?

Of course, that is what AI does.  

그렇다면 화장품 산업에 스마트팩토리 구축은 반드시 필요할 수 있겠 다. 맞나?

그렇다. AI가 어느 정도로 좁게 디지털화해서 잘라줄 거냐 하는 것이 관 건이다. 인간이 하기에는 어렵다. 기계에서 오는 신호를 디지털화하면 굉장히 세분화해 촬영할 수 있고, 슬로비디오 형태로도 나온다. 사람에 게도 그것을 적용하면 궁극적으로 맞춤형으로 가는 것이다.   

Then, it could be necessary to build smart factory for cosmetics industry. Is it correct? 

It is correct. The key is how much AI will segment, digitize and cut. It is difficult for humans to do. If you digitize the signal coming from the machine, one can shoot with great subdivision. The result comes also in slow video format. Applying this approach to people, ultimately, my company becomes a company tailored for customers. 

6d5ce36e4ca023bcd2aff0f5dc02eac4_1614132591_279.jpg

화장품 업계에서는 지금 어느 정도로 데이터가 분석되고 있나?

화장품 제조업체가 4,500개 가까이 되는데, 지금까지 스마트팩토리 구 축이 돼 있는 회사가 20곳도 되지 않을 것이다. 그 20개 회사가 전체 매출의 99%를 차지한다. 나머지 회사가 1%의 시장을 두고 싸우고 있 다. 그러니 다 영세업체다. 중소기업 중에서는 우리가 가장 먼저 하는 듯하다. 특히 CGMP를 데이터화하는 회사로는 처음일 것이다. 

How much data is being analyzed in the cosmetics industry now?

Among 4,500 cosmetic manufacturers, so far fewer than 20 companies have built smart factories. Those 20 companies account for 99% of total sales. The rest of the companies are fighting over 1% of the market. That's why these companies are all small. Among SMEs, my company seems to be the first company executing data conversion. In particular, my company will be the first company to convert CGMP into data. 

그러면 다른 회사와 차별점이 될 수 있겠다. 

그렇다. CGMP 자체를 데이터화하면 그 프로그램만 가지고도 내가 봤 을 때는 몇 백억 원의 가치가 있을 것이다. 

Then, it can be differentiated from other companies.

Yes, if CGMP itself is converted into data, from my point of view, it will be tens of billions of Korean Won even with the program alone.  

지금까지 회사에서 일관되게 추진해온 목표가 있다면? 

일단 매출을 올려야 한다. 2015년까지만 해도 매출이 좋았는데, 지금 은 3분의 1로 줄었다. 

What are the goals your company has consistently pursued so far?

First, we have to increase sales. Sales were good until 2020 but they were down to a third. 

6d5ce36e4ca023bcd2aff0f5dc02eac4_1614133926_9681.jpg

왜 그렇게 됐나?

우리가 상대한 회사가 스타트업 회사였는데, 처음에는 우리가 갑이고 스타트업 회사가 을이었다. 우리는 OEM, ODM 다하니까 그들이 원하 는 걸 만들어준다. 그런데 그 스타트업 회사가 커지면서 갑을 관계가 바뀐다고 해야 하나? 그 회사가 다른 곳으로 떠나는 것이다, 우리보다 더 큰 회사를 찾아서. 2015년에는 매출 천억 원의 회사가 두 곳 있었 다. 그 사람들이 처음 거의 제로 페이스에서 시작해 천억 원까지 오른 것이다. 이 회사들이 다른 곳으로 떠났다. 그러다 보니 매출이 뚝 떨어 졌다.

What happened?

The company I dealt was a startup company at first. The relationship between the two was almost like a boss and subordinate relationship. As my company does both OEM and ODM, so we make what they want. However, I would say that the relationship changes as the startup company grows. That company left for seeking a company bigger than mine. In 2015, there were two companies with sales of 100 billion won. Those people first started at almost zero pace and made up to 100 billion won. These companies have gone elsewhere. As a result, sales plummeted for my company 

스마트팩토리 구축 후 앞으로 어떤 상황이 올 것 같은가.

스마트팩토리를 하고 나면 아마도 예전 수준까지 올라가지 않을까 싶 다. 현재 공장에서 할 수 있는 수준은 100억 원 정도로 보고 있다. 100 억 원 이상이 되면 새로 공장을 이전할 예정이다. 여기는 연구실로 쓰 게 될 것이다. 비전상으로는 그렇다

What would happen in the future after building the smart factory?

After building a smart factory, I think the sales outcome will probably rise to the previous level. Currently, the capacity of the factory can is estimated at 10 billion won worth production. When sales result reaches more than 10 billion won, I am thinking about relocating the factory. This current factory will be used as a laboratory based on my vision 

스마트팩토리 구축 전후의 성과를 구체적으로 설명해 달라.

일단 의사결정이 명확해졌다. 사업하기 전 연구원으로 있을 때 잘못 된 의사결정 때문에 회사를 그만두게 됐다. 그래서 의사결정의 중요 성을 깨닫고 사업하면서도 의사결정을 잘 하려고 노력한다. 디지털화 하면 데이터가 쌓이니까 우선 의사결정이 빠르고 명확할 수 있다. 나 로서는 이게 가장 큰 효과라고 할 수 있다. 그 다음은 스마트팩토리 구 축이 CGMP 자체를 디지털화하는 것이니 외부에서도 공장 내에 있는 것처럼 활동할 수 있다. 나도 직원들도 외부에서 고객을 만나더라도 핸드폰이나 컴퓨터로 전체적인 상황을 다 볼 수 있기 때문에 규정에 맞춰 행위를 할 수 있다. 그러면서도 데이터가 계속 수집되니까 품질 은 계속 좋아질 수밖에 없다. 이게 스마트팩토리 구축 전과 후의 차이 일 것이다.

Can you explain details by comparing the performance before and after building the smart factory?

First, decision-making became clear. When I was a researcher before doing my own business, I had to quit my previous company because of a bad decision. Thus, I realize the importance of decision-making and try to make good decisions while doing business. Among many other benefits, digitalization accumulates data, so that decisions can be made quickly and clearly. For me, this is the most positive outcome. The next one is that smart factory digitizes CGMP itself, so I can act as if I were in the factory from outside. Even if I and my employees meet customers from outside, we can monitor the whole situation on our mobile phone or computer. Therefore, we can act in accordance with the regulations. At the same time, the quality is inevitably improved as data is continuously collected. This is the difference between before and after building a smart factory 

6d5ce36e4ca023bcd2aff0f5dc02eac4_1614134088_9344.jpg